Grant Application Instructions
Please read these instructions carefully. There are changes you will want to be aware of. The on-line grant application will be available January 8, 2015 at 8am through April 7, 2015 at 11:59pm.
The Foundation for West Hartford Public Schools (FWHPS) provides grants to educators in the West Hartford Public Schools. Applications are made annually in late winter/early spring for projects that will take place the following school year. The deadline is Tuesday April 7, 2015, 11:59pm. Our mission is to provide support for educational projects and initiatives that directly benefit students and enhance the excellence of the West Hartford Public Schools community. This is an opportunity for teachers to try out a new idea or enhance a portion of the curriculum that would not otherwise be possible due to lack of funds. Last year we awarded 53 grants to teachers throughout the district.
Description of Grants
Grants during this cycle will be awarded for projects that will take place in the 2015/2016 school year. Grants are awarded in two categories:
I. Teacher Mini-Grants
Teacher mini-grants of up to $2,000 are awarded to teachers for projects, programs, equipment, and supplies used in the classroom. We encourage you to apply for grants that enrich the curriculum. We will fund innovative uses of new or existing technologies, but it is not our intent to fund routine equipment purchases.
II. Professional-In-Residence Grants
Professional-in-Residence grants of up to $3,000 are awarded to bring professionals into the classroom to work with students to enrich the curriculum. Multi-grade and multi-school collaborations are particularly encouraged.
- The grant request must include the name of the professional-in-residence, contact information to include email, phone number & website (if available) and a complete description of the programs and activities.
- YOU MUST CONTACT THE PROFESSIONAL-IN-RESIDENCE BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION TO CONFIRM GENERAL AVAILABILITY AND PROFESSIONAL FEES
To view sample applications please click the links below.
- Folk Music & Dancing with the Amidons
- Cooking Up the Curriculum
- Postcards to Charles Dickens
- Go Green: Lights, Camera, Action!
To view a list of In-Residence programs please click the link below.
- Prior to completing your application on-line, please discuss your grant proposal with your principal, department head or teacher liaison.
- Any person employed by the West Hartford Board of Education who holds Connecticut Department of Education certification and has direct contact with West Hartford students may apply for funding.
- Teachers may apply for up to three grants.
- If the execution of the grant-sponsored activity is not possible, or has changed, please contact the Foundation office.
Criteria for Grant Writing:
- Creative and innovative.
- Support the curriculum.
- Significantly impact student learning.
- Goals and objectives clearly defined and measurable.
- Detailed project description-state activities that will take place and how they will be integrated into the curriculum.
- Specific timeline during the school year September 2015-June 2016 only.
- Realistic, detailed and itemized budget must include brands and/or companies.
- Grants involved with outdoor plantings must include plans for year round maintenance.
- State other sources for funding if any, such as PTO (sometimes enhances chances for receiving FWHPS funding).
- Collaboration among teachers, departments, grade level, and schools encouraged. (The more students who benefit from the activity the better.)
- If educationally beneficial, we consider re-granting.
- In residence grants should include the name of the professional, contact information and a detailed description of the presenter’s activities.
- We do not fund compensation for substitute teachers or additional staffing.
- We do not fund teacher stipends.
- We will only consider funding food that is an integral part of the grant activity.
- We only accept online grant applications.
Important Information for Outdoor Installations:
Prior to applying for an outdoor item you must receive written permission from Robert Palmer in Plant Services. Please email Robert at email@example.com with a description of your grant proposal. Please allow time for Robert to respond.
Important Technology Information:
If you are applying for a technology grant, please contact Jared Morin at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that your technology is not being funded by the district or school, to confirm pricing and to ensure that the appropriate technology will support your goals. Please place "FWHPS Grant Inquiry" in the subject line and include the following information in your email to Jared.
1. What specific technology you are applying for
2. How will the technology be used to support your goals
3. Grade levels using technology.
Please allow time for Jared to respond with the appropriate specs including pricing.
Grant Writing Problems to Avoid:
- Name of school or teacher within the body or title of the application.
- Do not request more than the maximum allowed funding without indicating a secondary source of funding.
- Requests for refreshments, teacher coverage, or teacher compensation/ stipends
- Outside the realm of the curriculum.
- Goals, objectives, and activity description not clearly defined.
- Limited number of students who will benefit.
- Activity and/or materials that are within the realm of the West Hartford Public Schools budget. (Consult with principal or department head regarding this matter.)
- Avoid the use of acronyms in application without first giving the actual terms.
Application and Grant Selection Process
The application will be available only on-line beginning in early January. Please complete and submit applications no later than Tuesday April 7, 2015 at 11:59pm. The application form will not be available after that date.
IMPORTANT: Applications are reviewed by the Foundation’s Distribution Committee in a “blind” review process. Thus, the Committee does not know which schools or teachers are applying. In order to maintain the integrity of the process, DO NOT include the name of any teachers or schools in the body or title of the application, otherwise your application will be automatically denied.
Decisions will be voted on by the Foundation Board of Directors in May. Teachers will be notified in June. Prior to publicly awarding any funds, principals will be notified that such awards have been approved. Directors of the Foundation will present awards in the Fall of 2015. Awards will be made in accordance with Board of Education policies. Funds will be available after September 1, 2015.
If your grant application is approved, you must submit a Final Report to the Foundation at the completion of the project. Final Reports are availabe on our website at www.fwhps.org and are due by June 3, 2016.
Teachers are asked to notify the Foundation when a project is taking place so that board members and donors may attend. The Foundation requests that any report about a grant sponsored activity, either in school newsletters or newspaper publications recognize the efforts of the Foundation.
Please check our website for Reimbursement policies on our website
Prior to making any changes to your orginal grant proposal, you must receive approval in writing by the Foundation.
If the execution of the grant sponsored activity is not possible, you must contact the Foundation office.
If for any reason an applicant is unable to administer the grant, the principal or a designee is asked to administer it and to notify the Foundation.
Ownership of all grant materials including technology resides with the West Hartford Public Schools. If a grant recipient transfers to another school within the district, it will be the principal’s decision to keep the equipment or send it to the new school. If a teacher is no longer employed by the WHPS, the equipment will remain in the school under the direction of the media specialist.
Applications must be received online no later than Tuesday, April 7, 2015, at 11:59pm.
Please contact the Foundation:
- Telephone: 860-561-8755
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Submit the Final Report on previous grants by June 3. This report form can be found on our website and can be submitted electonically.
- Include a detailed budget in the designated section of the application including brands and/or vendors.
- Do NOT include any names of teachers or schools in the title or body of the application.
- Be sure to print a copy of your grant application for your own records as it is not saved on line.
- You also must print copies of your grant application for your school’s Principal or Teacher Liaison.
Thank you for your application and good luck!