Grant Application Information and Instructions
for 2023-2024 school year.
NEW! There will be two grant cycles for the 2023-2024 school year. Teachers may apply for ONE grant per each grant cycle as a lead OR additional applicant!
Grant Cycle 1 - Will open on Friday, February 17, 2023. Application deadline is May 2, 2023 at 11:59pm. If awarded, funds will be available beginning September 1, 2023 through the end of the 2023-2024 school year.
Grant Cycle 2 - Timing TBD. Funds will be available beginning January 1, 2024 through the end of the 2023-2024 school year.
Cycle 1 Deadline - May 2, 2023 at 11:59pm
Please read these instructions carefully as changes have been made. The on-line grant application for cycle 1 will open on Friday, February 17, 2023 at 8am and close at 11:59pm on Tuesday, May 2, 2023.
The mission of the Foundation for West Hartford Public Schools (The Foundation) is to provide support for educational projects and initiatives that directly benefit students and enhance the excellence of the West Hartford Public Schools community. Applications will be judged on their creativity and innovation as well as degree of support of the curriculum and impact on student learning. This is an opportunity for teachers to try out a new idea or enhance a portion of the curriculum that would not otherwise be funded.
- Applicants must be employed by the West Hartford Board of Education, hold a Connecticut Department of Education certification, and have direct contact with students in the West Hartford Public School System.
Using the Application Portal
- If you applied in the past, your log in is your WHPS email address. If you do not remember your password, click forgot password and you will receive an email to reset it. If you don't see the email, please check your junk folder.
- Grant applicants that have not applied in the past will create a password associated with their email address to log into the Foundation website and create/ submit an application.
- Once an application is started, the application is saved by clicking "save". IMPORTANT, please remember to click "save" to save your work frequently, and especially at the end of each section of the application.
- Click here for detailed instructions on the application portal.
- Click here to begin the application process.
- The application will include a place for a 5-7 sentence summary of your grant proposal for publicity purposes. Please click here for suggestions on writing the grant summary.
- If you have any questions. Please email us at email@example.com.
Grant Guidelines and Requirements
- Maximum grant award is $3,000.
- Applicants may only apply for ONE grant during each grant cycle as either lead applicant OR additional applicant.
- Your grant, if awarded, may receive full and partial funding.
- Grants must be implemented during the 2022-2023 school year.
- Prior to completing your application on-line, you must have your principal or department supervisor read and approve your grant proposal.
- All grants will be read on a blind basis. DO NOT USE A SCHOOL, TEACHER, OR ANY NAME THAT IDENTIFIES YOUR SCHOOL OR PROGRAM (ie: IB, STEM, STRIVE, SEP or Reach).
- Please provide actual terms before using acronyms in the application.
- If your grant requires more than $3,000 to implement and you will need additional funding, you must indicate the secondary source of funding. This secondary source must be confirmed prior to submitting your application.
- For grants involving out-of-the-building field trips please include dates (if available) and price per ticket admission.
- All book requests must include approximate number, type of books, as well as at least 3 book titles. Please be certain that your diverse textbook orders are for independent or read-aloud school or classroom collections (Does not include guided level texts or Fontas & Pinnell collections)
- Grants with living things must include plans for year-round maintenance.
- Be specific as possible for items listed in your grant proposal by including a description, quantity, vendor and model number (if available).
Important Information for Professional In-Residence Grant Requests
- Professional In-Residence grants for both virtual or in-person programs will be allowed for work with students only. We do NOT fund professional development or teacher in service programs.
- For Professional In-Residence grants,(held in school or virtually), the request must include the following:
- Name of the professional.
- Contact information: email, phone number & website (if available)
- a complete description of the programs and activities.
- # of visits and length per visit.
- Before submitting your application, you must contact the professional in-residence to confirm general availability and professional fees.
To view a sample list of In-Residence or field trip programs please click the link below.
Other General Information:
- Collaboration among teachers, departments, grade level, and schools is encouraged.
- If educationally beneficial, we consider re-granting.
- We will fund grants for transportation for field trip and in-residence programs.
The Foundation will NOT fund the following:
- Food (snacks/ refreshments). However, food that is an integral part of the grant will be considered.
- Professional development, substitutes, or teacher in-service programs.
- Guided level texts or Fontus & Pinnell collections.
Important Information for Outdoor Installations:
Prior to applying for an outdoor item, you must receive written permission from Robert Palmer in Plant Services. Please email Robert at Robert.Palmer@westhartfordct.gov with a description of your grant proposal and allow 2 weeks for a response.
Important Information for Technology:
Prior to applying for any type of electronic device, including a computer, hardware or software, apps or on-line subscriptions, please contact Sean Nagel at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that your technology is not being funded by the district or school, to confirm pricing and to ensure that the appropriate technology will support your goals.
Please place "FWHPS Grant Inquiry" in the subject line and include the following information in your email to Sean. Please allow 2 weeks for Sean to respond with the appropriate specs including pricing.
1. The specific technology for which you are applying
2. How the technology will be used to support your goals
3. Grade levels using technology.
Deadline, Notification and Funding Dates:
- For Cycle 1 - Applications must be received online no later than Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 11:59pm. You will be notified no later than Friday, June 9, 2023 and funds will be available by September 1, 2023.
- For Cycle 2 - Timing TBD
Please contact the Foundation:
- Telephone: 860-561-8755
- E-mail: email@example.com